Professional Course in Herbal Medicine
Length of Study: 4-6 years (depending on chosen pathway)
Schedule: September – July. Resits may run into August
Award: Diploma in Herbal Medicine (DipHM), conferring eligibility to apply for membership of the National Institute of Medical Herbalists (NIMH).
Clinical Hours: 500 hours (up to 250 can be taken online)
Accreditation: National Institute of Herbal Medicine
Total Study Hours: 3600 hours plus 500 clinical hours (excluding writing-up time)
Course Outline – 4-Year Course
(subject to change)
6 Year Course
(subject to change)
The delivery of this course takes place through a VLE (Virtual Learning Environment) called Moodle.
A range of learning and teaching activities take place via this online delivery platform including:
Recommended Study Time
A professional training course demands a serious investment of time.
- 4 year course, the recommended study time is 21-30 hours per week
- 6 year course the recommended study time is 14 to 21 hours per week.
This excludes clinical training hours (500 hours in total plus writing up time). Please note, these are guidelines and the time needed depends on the demands of the course at the particular time, the individual, and relevant prior learning.
Of these hours, 30-50% would typically be via our VLE (Moodle); watching videos and completing online tasks, attending webinars, completing quizzes and attending tutorials. The remainder comprises directed or self-directed background reading, research, assignment writing and revision. Students are expected to engage in their studies for at least 40 weeks of the year.
Successful completion of the Heartwood Foundation Course (or equivalent), plus 4 GCSEs at grades A-C / grade 4 or above (including English, Maths and a Science); or BTEC Level 2/First Diploma (in a relevant subject with merit or distinction); or NVQ Level 2; or equivalent Level 2 qualification.
Those without GCSE English at grade C / grade 4 or above need to offer proof of proficiency in English, for example:
- Cambridge Advanced Certificate (CAE) / Cambridge C1 Advanced – 185 overall with a minimum of 176 in each skill
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) / Cambridge C2 Proficiency – 185 overall with a minimum of 176 in each skill
- IELTS (Academic) – 7.0 overall with a minimum of 6.5 in each skill
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) – 69 overall with a minimum of 62 in each communicative skill
- TOEFL iBT Institution code: 0394 – 100 overall with a minimum of 25 in writing and 23 in each of the other skills
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English (ISE) – Level III (ISEIII) with merit in each skill
Applications from those over 21 with an existing qualification and/or experience in another therapeutic discipline will be considered for course entry on a case-by-case basis.
Accredited Prior Learning
- Completed year 1 with Betonica:
- allows entry to our PC course
- Completed year 2 with Betonica:
- you will need to complete our year 1 Practitioner Development module and have worked through some elements of our Anatomy and Physiology module before starting Heartwood year 2 (this applies to both the 4 year and 6 year courses)
- APL for a limited number of clinical training hours. Please enquire for further information
- Completed year 3 with Betonica – entry onto our year 2 of the 4 year pathway, or year 2 of our 6 year pathway (you will be APLd for year 2 Plant Sciences)
- APL clinical training hours – please enquire